Country Living...Island Dreaming

October 19, 2017

Vermont in the Fall...Is There a Better Place to Be?

Every fall, we try to head up to Vermont at least once before the ski season begins.  This year we drove up over Columbus Day Weekend hoping to view some beautiful foliage!  But with temperatures still in the 80's, the leaves were taking their time this year.

Woodstock Inn in Woodstock, Vermont

This is the iconic Woodstock Inn in the charming town of Woodstock, Vermont.  Have you ever seen a more inviting place to stay?  We took a peek inside and it was just what I would have expected from the exterior.  Classic and so New England.  Sorry, I didn't take any photos but here is the link to their website if you want to take a look for yourself - The Woodstock Inn.


This delightful town is exactly what you would picture when you think of Vermont.


After a weekend of on and off rain, it was nice to see the late afternoon sun streaming through the trees.



The charming streets transport you back in time...


We made our usual stop in the Yankee Book Shop only to find that the owners changed hands recently.  We used to stop in just to see the owner's three Bernese Mountain dogs that used to roam freely around the store.  The employees told us people ask about them all the time!

I didn't take as many photos of the town as I should have but you can see more of this lovely town in my old post - Quintessential New England Town.

Earlier in the day we visited the town of Quechee, just about 10 minutes east of Woodstock.  We usually visit both towns on the same trip.


This is the view of the bridge over the famous Quechee gorge.  As you can see, it's quite the tourist attraction.


The kids wanted to explore a little so we walked around some of the trails.  Years ago, we hiked to the bottom but this time we stayed up top...because throwing rocks over the edge is more fun!

We stopped in the Cabot store and sampled all their cheeses...

And made our obligatory visit to the Toy and Train Museum upstairs...




Does anyone spot an old lunchbox?  I found the Pebbles and Bam Bam but not the Flintstone one I used to have...yes, I am getting old!


My kids always love the train displays which are small scale models of a few local towns and of course, the ski slopes!


On our way back towards Woodstock, we stopped to admire some pretty river views.


You have to take pictures of covered bridges when you are in Vermont!


How pretty is this bridge?  I love the one is Woodstock too but for some reason I didn't take any pictures of it.  Oh well...

So that was the pretty part of the weekend!  The "fun" part of the weekend took place the day before at Killington Mountain...


Like I said, it was mostly rainy and cloudy that weekend...but we didn't let it spoil our fun!  It was "Witchcraft Weekend" on the mountain so there were all kinds of extra autumn attractions in addition to the usual mountain activities.


My kids stuck to the basics like the Beast Mountain Coaster and my husband and 13 year old went zip lining for the first time!


They loved it so much, they went down twice!  I didn't try because of my bad neck and back...(yeah, that's the reason!)


Meanwhile, my 11 year old and I had to break for a chocolate covered waffle...

And then all four of us headed up to the peak for lunch!  (Yes, we had waffles before lunch - bad mom!)
The view from the gondola was less than ideal.  I could only imagine how beautiful the changing leaves look on a clear day.



This is the sign in the restaurant.  Views as far as the eye can see...well potential for views as far as the eyes can see...


And this was our view from the Peak Lodge!  Oh well, at least lunch was good!

After lunch, the rain stopped so I ran back and picked up Rosie...

She was so excited to greet every single person she could!


She loved watching the boys run up the grass covered ski slopes...


And posed for some pictures along the way.


Needless to say, she was exhausted by the end of the day.


Attempting to be become the official dog of Killington can be exhausting!  Actually, the whole day was exhausting for all of us, but not as exhausting as a day of skiing.  We're getting close now!

Have you been to Vermont in the fall?

I'd love for you to follow along so you don't miss a post!


Joining these link parties:
Rattlebridge Farm - Foodie Friday and Everything Else
French Country Cottage - Feathered Nest Friday
Chic on a Shoestring - Flaunt it Friday
Pieced Pastimes - Saturday Sparks
The Sway - Saturday Sharefest
Tatertots and Jello - Best Friday Features
Sweet Pea - Best of the Weekend
Starfish Cottage - Sundays at Home
Inspiration for Moms - Inspiration Monday
Life and Linda - Dishing It and Digging It Party
Marilyn's Treats - Over the Moon
Dwellings - Amaze Me Monday
My Uncommon Slice of Suburbia - Inspire Me Monday
A Stroll Thru Life - Inspire Me Tuesday
Cedar Hill Farmhouse - The Scoop
Sweet Parish Place - Totally Terrific Tuesday
Savvy Southern Style - Wow Us Wednesday
My Life Abundant - Wonderful Wednesday
DIY by Design - Fall into Fall
A Delightsome Life - Home and Garden Thursday
The Essence of Home - Share Your Style
Imparting Grace - Grace at Home
Taryn Whiteaker - Inspiration Gallery
Easy Peasy Pleasy - Funtasic Friday


SHARE:

19 comments

  1. Can I just move in...that first picture is breathtaking. But have to say, Rosie stole the show!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my, I definitely need to put Vermont on our travel bucket list. It's just gorgeous. I love that we both have dogs named Rosie.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am in love with all of these photos. and wow look at the colors of those mums!!!
    XO Ellen from Ask Away
    www.askawayblog.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. I want to visit Vermont in the fall some day. Looks like fun and even miss Rosie enjoyed it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Shelley, I have never been to Vermon, but I need to go! I can only imagine the beauty when the leaves turn! I enjoyed traveling with you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a beautiful place to explore! Looks like it was a great time :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. We went to Quechee & Woodstock a few weeks ago. I love Woodstock & the cheese samples at the antique stores. We got a few different types of cheese.
    https://therantingsofadramaqueensmum.blogspot.com/2017/10/new-england-minutevermont.html

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yes! We had a lovely fall vacation some years ago, staying at the Reluctant Panther Inn in Manchester. Fabulous canoe trip on the river during that stay, and spectacular color. Looks like you had fun on your trip.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Gorgeous post - I really enjoyed my trip to Vermont with you.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've never been to Vermont and would love to visit!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks for creating this post! We were supposed to go to Vermont (my first time) in September. But, we live in Florida and Hurricane Irma derailed our plans. Maybe another year. I love the pictures!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. My husband and I have been to the Gorge and Woodstock in the middle of summer, but we would love to go back in the fall. We'll have to go up that mountain and take that gondola ride. That looks fun. Sorry it rained on you. We've struggled with a lot of rainy weekend ruining our fall drives this fall also.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I now have a new bucket list place to visit and the Woodstock Inn looks amazing. Hope you're having a great start to your week!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Your pictures are beautiful! Yes, we have been to Vermont in the Fall. We went on one of those "Fall Color Tours" a few years back, and our timing could not have been more perfect. The beauty was breathtaking!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I loved looking at your Vermont pictures. If I could, I'd get in the car and go back there right now. We've never been to Killington and will have to go one of these days. (We usually ski Okemo.)

    ReplyDelete
  16. I am so jealous of your Fall experience in Vermont. I miss the Northeast so much. For the past several years, we have gone from summer straight to winter in North Carolina with no Fall weather to speak of. Your pics are great and your dog is adorable!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! There really is no place like Vermont! (By the way, I tried to email you back but you came up as "no reply"). Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete

I love reading all of your comments and try my best to respond in a timely manner. If you click on the "Notify Me" button below your comment, you will be notified of follow up comments through email. Thanks for stopping by and have a great day!

Blogger Template Created by pipdig