March 18, 2016

Coffee Table - Calypso Style

It's been awhile since I have done anything interesting with my coffee tables.  Just for fun, I thought I would join in on a Chairish Coffee Table Challenge.  If you are not familiar with Chairish.com, they are an online retailer where you can buy and sell vintage and used furniture.  They also carry tons of decor including vintage books and pieces you don't see everywhere.

I started with one of their antique coffee tables and found a few accessories to come up with an island inspired look...


Obviously, not everything is to scale in my picture but you get the idea.  These are pieces that would add a little island style into my home.  You can click on the links below to bring you to the actual items on their website.  

1.  Tray -Whitewashed Teak Carved Tray
2.  Vase - Huge Bulbous Hand Painted Vase
3.  Books - Art Books
4.  Shell - Natural Conch Shell
5.  Wood Box - Wooden Cane Box
6.  Coasters - Vintage Brass Anchor Coasters
7.  Orchid - from my home
8.  Glass Hurricane - Hurricane Candle Holder
9.  Coffee Table - Antique Wooden Coffee Table

By the way, I am not being compensated in any way to create this coffee table style board or to mention Chairish...just in case you were wondering.

When styling a coffee table I think it is important to consider a few things:
  • The colors and style of your room.
  • The seasons - because it's always fun to keep things fresh.
  • Things you love.  You want your room to reflect who you are.
As you might know from reading my blog, I love the Caribbean and try to incorporate a bit of island charm into my home without going too crazy.
Caribbean Inspired Mantel
Considering what my mantel looks like these days, this island inspired coffee table should fit right in with my family room decor.

My living room hasn't escaped my island touches either.  Here is one way I have styled my living room coffee table in the past.  This is actually where I got the idea to use the cane box and shells in my inspiration board above.

Bromeliad
You can see more of this post - HERE.

And you can see, my home office is filled with all kinds of island style as well...
You can see more - HERE

All this talk of islands is making me dream of a tropical vacation.  Too bad we don't have one planned ...and too bad it is supposed to snow here this weekend!  Ugh.

What items do you like to use
 on your coffee table?

12 comments:

  1. Your coffee table is really pretty the way you've styled it. I always love a tray or basket and the texture of yours is great. Love the bromeliad too. :)

    Thanks for joining Thoughts of Home on Thursday. You are one of the last to link up so I'll share on Facebook to make sure people see your post. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your ideas for the coffee table (and I have a weakness for antique tables, as well). Your basket of shells reminds me of my mother--she has always loved the sea and uses shells and coral in her décor. The items always take her back to the beach. Adore the peek of your navy striped rug and the white chair. Have a good weekend. Hope the snow misses you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love all your pretty island touches. I have some shells around my house that always reminds me of the fun times I had when I was young at the beach. Hope you have a great weekend!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You have wonderful things to style your coffee table- which is not always an easy thing to do. Shells always add the perfect texture.
    Thank you for sharing this at Thoughts of Home on Thursday.
    I am so glad you are here.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love your coffee table ideas, Shelley! I change things up seasonally, but late Spring through Summer, I love adding symbols of the ocean....shells & such. Yes, I love ocean elements right here in the middle of the AZ desert!

    Happy Weekend!
    Carol

    ReplyDelete
  6. Snowing there now??? OMG! I'm sorry to hear that. It must feel weird to see snow on the first weekend of Spring! We are supposed to get rain. I like your "island" themed coffee table. Maybe your island decorations will take your mind of the snow.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The island style looks perfect in your home. I love using a tray on a table to corral items.
    hugs,
    Jann

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've never heard of chairish.com before and enjoyed poking around their site. Thanks for posting about it. Fun unique items!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Shelley I admire how you incorporate a little Caribbean into your home, without going too crazy as you say! It's the perfect amount of calypso in the country :) That photo of your boys on your mantle is insanely cute!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have always loved your island vibe! So pretty! And I hope all that snow has melted. We had some over the weekend, but it melted as soon as it hit the ground, thankfully. Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I adore plant life or flowers, books and great candles... I love chairish too! xo K

    ReplyDelete
  12. I do like mixing it up, like you, and changing for the seasons. I actually got a new coffee table about a year ago and at the time, wrote a post about styling it! And then of course, put way too much time into it, moving things around until I thought they were just right:)

    Yours looks good! And I love the "little" bit of Caribbean you put into your home, without overdoing it.

    Can't believe it's snowing there! Wow!!

    Sheila
    www.maisondecinq.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

I love reading all of your comments and try my best to respond in a timely manner. If you click on the "Notify Me" button below your comment, you will be notified of follow up comments through email. Thanks for stopping by and have a great day!