September 11, 2015

Never Forget

We live just over an hour from New York City.

I still remember every detail of watching the events unfold from the computer monitors at work that morning...that awful feeling of waiting to hear from the friends and family who worked in the city.  We didn't hear from some until very late in the day.  But we were lucky.  Everyone in our lives were accounted for.  While I didn't lose anyone close on September 11th, so many of our friends and family lost loved ones or co-workers.  Many will have tragic memories that will stay with them forever.  I don't think any of us will forget where we were that day.

My kids discussed September 11th at school yesterday.  My younger son told me that each child in his 4th grade class had a chance to share any story they might have.  Obviously, none of them were born yet...heck his teacher was only in high school at the time but still, many of them had stories to tell.  One child lost her grandmother whom she never had the chance to meet.  My son told the class the story of his aunt who happened to be meeting a client for breakfast on the first floor of the 1st Tower.  If she had been up in her office that morning, my son would have never met her.  How different our lives would have been.  She is such a huge part of his life and he adores her.  We all do.

Life can change in an instant and you never know what each day will bring.  Today is always a reminder for me to appreciate the people in my life.

And to Never Forget...


Time is passing.  Yet, for the United States of America, there will be no forgetting September the 11th.  We will remember every rescuer who died in honor.  We will remember every family that lives in grief.  We will remember the fire and ash, the last phone calls, the funerals of the children.
~ President George W. Bush




5 comments:

  1. I was having coffee on the porch when my daughter called hysterical and could barely talk, telling me to turn on our tv.... I will never forget the terror in her voice as we cried together watching the towers collapse. Thank you for your message, we will never forget the pain and the loss.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was having coffee on the porch when my daughter called hysterical and could barely talk, telling me to turn on our tv.... I will never forget the terror in her voice as we cried together watching the towers collapse. Thank you for your message, we will never forget the pain and the loss.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I remember being glued to the TV that entire day. Such horror. Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is a lovely post! Thank you!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I wrote about my 9/11 experience (a couple of years ago) all the way from when we still lived in the Philippines, and believe me, I was glued and crying watching what went on that terrible day.

    ReplyDelete

I love reading all of your comments and try my best to respond in a timely manner. If you click on the "Notify Me" button below your comment, you will be notified of follow up comments through email. Thanks for stopping by and have a great day!