Country Living...Island Dreaming

September 3, 2014

Tip for Saving Money on Magazine Subscriptions

Are you paying too much
for your magazine subscriptions?

Well, you might be if your magazines are up for renewal and you previously chose the "Automatic Renewal" option.  This happened to me so I thought I would pass this tip on to you.


The other day I received one of those little courtesy postcards in the mail informing me that one of my favorite magazines was scheduled for "Automatic Renewal" in the next couple of months.  I didn't think anything of it and I almost tossed the card in the trash until I looked at the rate I was being charged:

Term:  1 year
Special Rate $27.97


This "special rate" didn't seem like any kind of "special" deal to me, especially since I have been subscribing to this magazine for many years.  So just for fun, I decided to check their website to verify their subscription rate.

Well, well, well...what a surprise.  The current subscription rate is $25.00 for 2 years or $15.00 for 1 year.  And I was about to be automatically charged $27.97 for 1 year!

So, needless to say, I called the customer service number and explained my situation.  Luckily, the representative was very accommodating and changed my renewal rate to the current subscription rate quoted on their website.

Now I am paying $25.00 for 2 years instead of $27.97 for 1 year!

So next time you receive one of those "Automatic Subscription" notices in the mail, be sure to check the current price to make sure you are getting the best deal.  It doesn't hurt to ask for the lower price!
Do you have any quick money saving tips you would like to share?
SHARE:

11 comments

  1. I do the same thing too! since new subscribers get a better deal, I always call customer service and they always give me the cheaper of the 2 offers!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We get so many renewals for my subscriptions that we make sure we check them and didn't just pay it already. I need to make sure we aren't getting over charged, too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great tip, I have one up for renewal I'm going to check! Thanks, Shelley!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you so much for this! In all the busyness ... stuff like that falls through the cracks. I'll be checking! Happy Thursday!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is a great tip, Shelley. I always opt out of automatic renewals of everything for just this reason. It takes more time to do it myself, but I always save money. Nice of you to pass this on!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's a great tip! I try to check as well before I renew.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I always check the mail that comes from different magazines to make sure they are not going to automatically renew, but I had not thought of also checking the rate. Thanks for sharing, Shelley.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great money saving tips! Thanks for sharing I hate spending a lot of money for magazines!

    ReplyDelete
  9. You do have to be careful! Great post! I do appreciate you sharing with Home and Garden Thursday,
    Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  10. I stopped many of my subscriptions due to this…I even canceled on least year and still receive it…I checked back in my credit card payments and found out that they never canceled and continued to charge me - UGggh…live and learn!

    ReplyDelete

I love reading all of your comments and try my best to respond in a timely manner. If you click on the "Notify Me" button below your comment, you will be notified of follow up comments through email. Thanks for stopping by and have a great day!

Blogger Template Created by pipdig