Country Living...Island Dreaming

May 22, 2012

A Small Setback

Well, my son's room is painted!

Hurray!

Unfortunately, I hit a little snag in my decorating plans.

The gray and white ticking stripe curtains that I ordered from
Restoration Hardware
didn't really work out.
The grommets made the curtains hang weird
 on the rod that was already in place.
See the way they are all bunched up and won't even move?
Sure, we could probably hang the rod a little differently but
there is no room to come any lower.
We absolutely can't go any higher,
which brings up the other problem...

Yes, the curtains are a little too short.
Just enough to make them look ridiculous.
His old curtains were 84 inches too
so I don't know why these are so off...but they are.

So, now I am trying to think of
what else will work here.
We are so disappointed
because the ticking stripe would have looked great
with the blue.
Oh well!

I am either going to get a solid color
like a light gray or white
or actually try to make curtains myself!
What a dreadful thought that is!
For the average person, it would be pretty easy,
especially since I will probably use clip rings to hang them.
But sew?
Seriously,
that is way out of my comfort zone!

I will keep you posted on what we decide.

In the meantime,
I am hanging pictures and accessorizing the rest of the room.

Have you tried sewing your own panels?
SHARE:

8 comments

  1. Aw...too bad. Can't wait to see what you come up with!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've sewn mine, Shelly, and actually made balloon shades in the past...you could do it! Just found your lovely blog, and I'm a new follower...So nice to meet you!
    Best,
    Anne

    ReplyDelete
  3. Shelley: no-sew iron-on hemming tape. Use rings with the clips - fold over and clip the tops instead of using the grommets - and add a contrasting fabric to the bottom with the no-sew tape! It's miraculous! The ticking stripe is so cute - and the curtains will be movable on the clip rings!!! That's my solution :) Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a bummer! That ticking stripe was so cute too! Sometimes decorating can be so stressful. By the way, I sew a lot of home dec. It really isn't as hard as you might think! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is SOOOO annoying. Grrr. I'm making curtains for our girls' bedroom at the moment but I am being sloooooow!!

    But I have to say that curtains are really not too hard. Once you've done the measuring, at least the sewing is all straight lines!!

    Sarahx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for all the ideas. Since the room is pretty dark now, I may actually get white curtains and maybe add some kind of decorative trim or something. So frustrating!
    -Shelley

    ReplyDelete
  7. I was going to suggest what Lisa said. I've done it and it's easy. All of my curtains are homemade to some degree. The iron on hem tape makes it so easy. You can even buy a set of white curtains the same width as the ticking ones and sew them together, hiding the seam by ironing on a contrasting strip of ribbon. It would add a pop of color and still keep the light look you want. Good luck with whatever you decide!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Have you looked at www.countrycurtains.com? They have a lot of tickling choices. I havebought a few sets from them and they are nice quality and affordable.

    ReplyDelete

I love reading all of your comments and try my best to respond in a timely manner. If you click on the "Notify Me" button below your comment, you will be notified of follow up comments through email. Thanks for stopping by and have a great day!

Blogger Template Created by pipdig