November 10, 2011

Foolish Blogger Email Tip

Ok, so yesterday was my one year Blog Anniversary
and I learned something important on that day!

I mean, besides the fact
 that I looked silly in my Halloween costume this year!
Yes, I was a Red Crayon for Halloween.
(I thought a foolish picture would go well with this post.)

Anyway,
For the past year
I have been so careful with my privacy on my blog.
I don't give too many personal details,
I don't show pictures of my kids' faces,
I don't say exactly what town in New Jersey I live in.

But what have I done wrong you ask?
Every single time I send out an email from my blog,
IT HAS MY FULL NAME ON IT!
AND I DIDN'T EVEN REALIZE IT!!!

Now since I email back and forth to a lot of you
I have noticed that some of you use your full name.
Maybe you do it intentionally,
but maybe you don't realize it either
because your actual email address is your blog name.
But did you realize, if you never adjusted your settings,
your emails are going out with your full name on them?

Right now you either think I am a total fool for never noticing this.
Or
you are silently thanking me
for preventing you from going another day with your name out there.

Now don't get me wrong,
I am not saying that I think any of you lovely ladies with whom I email
shouldn't know my full name.
But what happens when I accidentally respond to some lunatic
and then the next time you hear from me is when you see me
as a victim
on the 6 o'clock news with the new story titled,
"When Blogging Becomes Dangerous"?

So to prevent this from happening to you,
I have listed some instructions you can use to fix your email.

I use Google/Gmail so these instructions will be different for some of you.  But this is what you can do to adjust the problem if you have Gmail.

Click on your Gmail account.
On the top right of your screen you will see a swirly circle
(in the upper right corner next to your email address.)
Click on the circle and the click on Mail Settings.
Then under the Settings tab, select Accounts and Import.
You will see "Send Mail As". 
Over to the right click the little Edit Info.
Next to "Name", you will see how your email is seen by others.
Make your changes and then click on Save Changes.

That's all you have to do.
I can't wait to see what I realize after 2 years of blogging!

Were you aware of how your emails were going out?
Did I help you or give you a good laugh for being a naive idiot?

I am linking to:
Savvy Southern Style - Wow Us Wednesdays

5 comments:

  1. You're funny! I used to be paranoid about stuff like this but then I gave up. :P

    I have a separate e-mail for the blog that doesn't include my full name. It forwards on to my personal e-mail so I don't have to check two.

    Blogging tip: It's good to have an e-mail displayed so readers can contact you with questions and/or I have received some fun blogging opportunities due to my "contact me" page. I just learned this a few months ago!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations on your first anniversary in blogging. I just finished my first year in Sept. I have learned so much from blogging and from meeting nice people like you. I agree with you about trying to preserve personal privacy. Bloggers are really good people as a whole but who knows who reads our stuff. To be on the safe side I give very little information about myself. Anyway, thanks for your blog and for your helpful hints.--------Shannon

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Shelley! Congratulations on your first blogging anniversary! My email address is my full name, so thanks for sharing this info!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I guess we can never be too safe, because we never know who is reading. I don't have my whole name out there, and don't give out a lot of personal info, but I still have a lot to learn. I just this week fixed my comments to not accept anonymous comments because of all of the spam, and filth that was being left, and also coming into my e-mail. I'm thinking I may need to set up a g-mail account for the blog?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congratulations on your anniversary!! Don't worry, I literally learn something new about blogging weekly. You're doing a great job :O)

    Big beach hugs to ya,
    Marie

    ReplyDelete

I love reading all of your comments and try my best to get back to you in a timely manner through email. If I cannot reach you, I will reply in the comment section above. Thanks for stopping by!