July 21, 2011

Dreams for the Dull and Dated

One of these days, I would like to tackle my foyer.
It's not really on the top of my list right now.
Mainly because my husband sees absolutely nothing wrong with it. 
But to me, it is just a little boring,

and I am quite tired of the oak staircase!

Here is what I am thinking for the staircase:
(Photo courtesy of Wegmans.com)
This was in the Wegmans flyer a year or two ago.
Of course the extra moldings add a lot to it
but I am focusing on how my stairs would look
with white risers and spindles.
I think just that change would make a huge difference.
(This Christmas tree helps too!)

My foyer gets some wonderful afternoon light,
especially this time of year.

(Probably why the staircase has faded so much
and taken on a yellowish tinge.)
The paint in the foyer is Benjamin Moore's Bone White
with Decorators White for the trim.




So that's basically it.
I am in the planning stage
so you won't see any changes for a while.
I have to keep the tile
because it continues thru the kitchen and back hall
but paint, accessories, etc can all be changed.

Hey, would that new chalk paint work on the stairs?
Everyone seems to love it!

I might darken the stain a little too...
I guess I would have to replace/remove the carpet...
Oh, and convince my husband...
That's the hard part!

9 comments:

  1. I love the molding up high on your walls. I have the same thing and always wonder what to do with them...that looks great!
    Stacy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can't wait to see what you do with it. Thanks for stopping by my blog.
    Inka

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's amazing what a little stain and paint can do! You have such a great space to work with that I'm sure it will look great when you're done!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think you have some great ideas for making a huge difference. Good luck convincing the hubs :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Shelley, I for one think it would fabulous! Your staircase is so grand already!! What a great space!
    I took the runner off our stairs and painted the risers and spindles white. What a difference that made!! Next up I'm going to refinish the treads and stain the railings either a very dark brown or black - I can't wait! (But have to wait - since my house is over run with kids home from school for the summer! :) )
    Here is a link to my before and after - so far! Hope you can get your hubby on board!

    http://www.shineyourlightblog.com/2010/12/our-foyer.html

    ReplyDelete
  6. You certainly do have a nice foyer, but I can see why you might want to "jazz" it up a bit! I think painting the spindles might just give the new look you want. My husband loves wood, and I usually have to beg or exchange a favor or two (we won't discuss that...lol!) to get him to paint it! Good luck! I'm looking forward to seeing how it all turns out!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You could achieve that wainscoting look by placing a chair railing and moulding frame shapes below it. Then just paint the railing AND the wall below the railing in your decorator white. Everyone will think that the wall is below the railing is wood. If you look at pictures of my dining room on my blog, that is what is done on the bottom half of the walls. I lived in the house for 17 years before I realized that it wasn't wood. Even the painter tried to sand it back until he realized that it was wall board. Cherry Kay

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've been toying with a similar project. We have the white spindles with a light stained wood railing. I've been wanting to paint the railing and stairs (where there's no carpet) black and keep the white spindles. I was considering the chalk paint too, I'll bet it would be great because you can avoid the sanding. Good luck with whatever you do :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow, what a beautiful space, though! You could easily do a few small things to the area to spruce it up and add some pops of color! What do you think you want to do to the staircase? I did an entry way design board last month and had some fun ideas in there if you want to check it out!

    ReplyDelete

I love reading all of your comments and try my best to get back to you in a timely manner through email. If I cannot reach you, I will reply in the comment section above. Thanks for stopping by!