Country Living...Island Dreaming

March 1, 2011

Afternoon Tea in the Islands (or My House!)

Since many of the British Caribbean Islands 
still embrace the tradition of Afternoon Tea,
I thought I would recreate the feeling in my house.
I love going to afternoon tea when on vacation. 
I should actually do it more at home!
Afternoon tea or "low tea" is not as formal as high tea.
Afternoon tea is usually taken in a sitting room at a "lower" table, like a coffee table.
It usually takes place in the late afternoon.
I think 4:00 p.m. is common.


Afternoon tea is usually served with light snacks like
scones, pastries and finger sandwiches.
(Or starfish in this case!)



Ooops, I guess if this were a real afternoon tea, I would need some plates and spoons!


This vignette is all about the Caribbean feeling
 so I know I am missing a lot of "proper" utensils and things!

Well, at least I have the china.

But there really needs to be an ocean out that window to make it complete anyway!

Have you ever enjoyed the tradition of afternoon tea?

I am linking up to Tabletop Tuesday at A Stroll Thru Life Tabletop Tuesday.
Thanks again to Marty for hosting!
SHARE:

7 comments

  1. Lovely! I'm your newest follower. http://moogieland.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a beautiful vignette, and such a gorgeous bird cage! I love how you put everything together.
    The starfish is a charming touch. xoxo tami

    ReplyDelete
  3. cute!! It's all about this little things, isn't it??

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love that room of yours. The pillows are awesome! Just love the fabric on them. I didn't know that about the difference between high tea and low tea... thanks for the lesson!

    Michelle
    New England Style

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ooh so pretty!!!!! Love the sweet little starfish too:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks everyone! FYI - the pillows are from Pier One - (last year but I think they still have them!)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh this is so pretty! I agree that starfish is awesome!

    ReplyDelete

I love reading all of your comments and try my best to respond in a timely manner. If you click on the "Notify Me" button below your comment, you will be notified of follow up comments through email. Thanks for stopping by and have a great day!

Blogger Template Created by pipdig