June 1, 2016

Thoughts on Haven and a Class I Wish They Would Teach

If you are a blogger, or a reader of blogs, you have probably heard about the Haven Conference, a DIY and decorating conference for bloggers which takes place in Atlanta, GA each year.  I believe this will be their 5th year.  Every year I have thought about attending but for some reason or another, it hasn't worked out...until this year!  I am actually going...hooray!


Now, I am not sure what I have gotten myself into.  Since my kids were born, I have only flown without them once...no wait, twice.  But the thought of it terrifies me.  I hate to fly.  There, I said it.  I hate admitting that because ironically, I LOVE to travel.  I just don't like the flying part.

Even back in the days before kids, I was afraid of flying.  When we were in Hawaii many years ago, we had to take this puddle jumper plane from Oahu to Lanai.  This picture was taken right after I "survived" the flight.  I was so proud of myself and so was everyone on the plane who had to deal with me being terrified.  Every person on the flight actually shook my hand and congratulated me when we arrived!


I also hate admitting my fear because it totally wrecks my image of being worldly and sophisticated...lol.  Yes, and after my "worldly" adventures on the Italian coast, I told my friend not to talk on the plane ride home because I was too stressed to fly.  She responded with, "It's a nine hour flight, you idiot!"...Good times...

So, yeah, I am doing this.  The thought of being at the end of my 40s make me want to experience as much as possible and push myself to do things that scare me.  Mid-life crisis anyone?  Yeah, I'm there.

So far I bought my Haven ticket, booked a room at the Hyatt and booked my flight.  I made sure to give myself plenty of time to arrive before registration so I won't be all frazzled when I get there.  Plus, I might need time to sober up after all the cocktails I will be drinking on the flight to calm down.  Just kidding...sort of.


Besides that, I haven't prepared as much as I should.  After all, August is practically around the corner now and I want to make sure I don't look like an unprepared fool when I arrive.  I know there will be a bunch of classes but do I go to them all?  Am I going to be expected to create a project with power tools I have never used before?  Will they hand me a paintbrush and expect me to paint something recognizable?  Or worse yet, will they sit me in front of a sewing machine and expect me to know how to turn it on?  Yes, these are a few fears that have crept into my head now and then.  Fear of the unknown, I guess.

One class that I wish they would teach is a class about copyright and trademark law!  Ever since I starting blogging, I have always been very cautious about the photos and information I share on my blog.  I would see other people posting gorgeous photos from everywhere and would wonder what they knew that I didn't.  I was constantly searching for rules and regulations explaining what you could and could not do.  I pretty much continued to only post my own photos just to be safe.

Recently, I came across a giveaway on the blog, Table and Hearth.  Emily was giving away a copy of the ebook, The Bloggers Guide to Copyright and Trademark Law - How to Protect Yourself and Enforce Your Rights written by Breighanne Eggert, lawyer and a blogger at Average But Inspired.

Obviously, this was just what I needed so I entered the giveaway and I WON!  As soon as I downloaded the ebook, I devoured every word.  This is just what I had always wanted to read...easy to understand information written by a lawyer who also understands blogging!  I cannot say enough about this ebook and I am not being compensated to tell you this.  You definitely need to check it out.  It's full of so much valuable information.  I am also looking forward to meeting Breighanne at Haven this summer.  This will be her first year attending as well!  I think since she is going anyway, she should teach a class based on her book!  Even if that won't be happening, I think her ebook should be required reading for every blogger!

Anyway, those are my thoughts, fears suggestions, etc.  Fears aside, I am actually very excited about attending Haven!  I can't wait to meet all the bloggers I have corresponded with over the years and I look forward to learning more!  Just don't tell me I have to sew anything...


Do you have any Haven tips or suggestions?
Are you going to Haven this year?

11 comments:

  1. I am still on the fence and it is in my backyard! LOL With that said, I have met Rhoda from Southern Hospitality and many other Atlanta bloggers who regularly attend the conference. She could not be nicer!! And everyone walks away having had a great time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How fun...I can't wait to hear how your first blogging conference goes. I have never been to one. I know you'll do just fine on the flight! Have a good day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't believe you are going and I'm not! I may meet folks for dinner so I will certainly have to look you up, too. It's a short flight so that's a good thing. You don't have to do anything you don't want to. Oh, and I have never seen a sewing machine there before. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. How fun, can't wait to hear how it all goes. Take tons of pics and let us follow along.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You can do it!!! You can do it!!! For me, it would be the conference rather than the flying that would be daunting - but I know you will be fine and end up having a blast!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good for you for buying a ticket! It'll be so fun to meet people in real life that you know through blogging, hopefully it will be worth the anxiety about flying there. Happy for you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good luck Shelley cant wait to hear all about it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Shelley, isn't it funny how we fear the unknown! I have wanted to go, but I have fears that since I don't know anyone, would I be uncomfortable! You will be fine flying! Blessings, Pam @ Everyday Living

    ReplyDelete
  9. Going to Haven is something I hope to do next year. So I hope you write all about it and then I can prepare. In the meantime I will need to read Breighanne's book because it really is something as bloggers we need to know.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Shelley, I share your fear of flying. I thought it would get better but unfortunately it hasn't. Can't wait to hear about Haven.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oooh, I can't wait to hear about your trip to Haven! Every single year I contemplate going but never do. Maybe next year...But this year I will certainly enjoy following your journey.

    ReplyDelete

I love reading all of your comments and try my best to get back to you in a timely manner through email. If I cannot reach you, I will reply in the comment section above. Thanks for stopping by!