Not anymore. With help from my boys, I have perfected our favorite chicken burritos. I have made them twice so far and they get devoured. Even when we make enough to have leftovers, the leftovers are gone the next day!
Here is our recipe:
10 Medium (8 inch) flour tortillas
1 - 1 1/2 pounds of boneless chicken breast, chopped into bite-sized pieces
3 cups of cooked rice
1 can of black beans (drained and rinsed)
1 cup frozen or canned corn
1/2 red bell pepper (chopped)
1/2 medium yellow onion (chopped)
1/2 clove garlic (chopped)
1 teaspoon of chili powder
1 teaspoon of cumin
1 jar of salsa
1 bar Monterey Jack cheese (shredded)
Optional Topping Ingredients
Monterey Jack cheese
Salsa (in addition to the jar above)
1. Cook rice according to box instructions so you end up with about 3 cups cooked.
2. In a large pan, heat olive oil on medium/medium high heat. Add chicken, onion, garlic, red bell pepper, chili powder and cumin. Cook for 8-10 minutes or until chicken is done. I usually end up putting the cover over the pan while cooking to keep the moisture in (since I always end up overcooking chicken).
3. In a separate pot, heat up the corn and beans for a few minutes.
4. In a large bowl, combine the rice, chicken mixture, corn, beans, 1 cup cheese and about half the jar of salsa. Mix well.
5. Divide up the mixture by filling up each of the ten tortillas evenly. Roll them up and place into two greased glass baking dishes. You will need two baking dishes because these burritos end up pretty stuffed! Sprinkle with more Monterey Jack cheese and the rest of the salsa.
* Tip - I tend to roll the burritos with the seam side up so they don't fall apart so easily when you scoop them out after cooking. To keep them from opening up while I am placing them in the dish, I usually lay a knife across the top until I sprinkle the cheese on top. Then once I add the extra cheese and salsa, they usually stay in place.
I always add extra cilantro on top of mine but we all have different extras we like to add, so I like to put out extra toppings for everyone.
Do you have a favorite way to make burritos?
I'd love for you to follow along so you don't miss a post!
Linking to these parties: