May 9, 2015

The Foyer and Stairs

About four years ago, I started thinking about changing my foyer -see HERE.


Well...now that we are ripping out the tile and installing hardwood floors, the staircase is has now been added to the plans!  Hooray!


The oak has faded and the runner has seen better days (with kids and a dog!)


So the plan is to re-stain to match the new floor, change the spindles to white and replace the carpet runner.  The walls are currently Benjamin Moore Bone White but I might change the color.  Either way, the walls definitely need a new coat of paint.  Don't tell my husband though.  I haven't broken that news to him yet.  He is currently sweating in front of a calculator, figuring out how much my mid-life-crisis-house-remodel is going to cost him!

Here are some samples of the look I love:


If I didn't have a dog, the staircase above would be perfect!  But we definitely need that runner!

This runner and foyer are gorgeous!...
AMW Design Studio via Houzz

The runner and area rug above are from Coastline Collection of Stanton Carpet and I love the way they look with the hardwood floors!  I also love the idea of a patterned stair runner to hide the possible doggie footprints!


Although a textured carpet like the one above might be the way to go.

I do love sisal though...

I love the look of sisal but I think I need to go a bit softer for our precious little feet (paws included!)

I am going to start bringing home samples to decide but it's hard when the new floors aren't in yet.  Yeah, I am a bit overwhelmed with this remodel to say the least.   I think I need a vacation...Oh wait, we can't afford one now...

What kind of stair runners do you like?

Linking to:
Pieced Pastimes - Saturday Sparks
Savvy Southern Style - Wow Us Wednesdays
Elizabeth and Co - Be Inspired
French Country Cottage - Feathered Nest Friday
Dixie Delights - Share Your Style

9 comments:

  1. Our front stairs have hardwood edges, so we have always had some type of carpet on them. Originally traditional plush pile, a big NO! We then had a tight weave berber with a pattern, and it held up quite well even though it was a bit light colored. We now have a dark chocolate that has a tone on tone pattern in a tight weave and LOVE it. If you are more worried about clean up with the pup and kids, look for something made of 100% olefin...that stuff can even be bleached in most circumstances. Our back staircase is painted and has held up well with no runner. Our Cairn doesn't seem to have any troubles with it either.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Epidural on its way! Deep breathing until it arrives! :) I love all your inspiration photos, and I like the first patterned runner best. I agree sisal is lovely, but a bit rough on bare paws and feet. I love everything about that patterned carpet photo, including the floors and walls. In fact, I'm on my way to your link to see their other carpets for our guest bedroom and loft. So pretty! Now I can't wait to hear what paint color you choose! It's so fun to follow your remodel, Shelley.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like a two tone cut pile wtth a great border like a greek key , sisal it great too fi you dont have pets. A nice tight wool sisal is a great alternative! The stairs will look great!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh this is going to be such a great looking entry way when it's complete!!! I really like the 1st patterned stair runner. I had to giggle about your hubby sweating while adding up all the costs, HaHa :)
    Darlene
    www.BundleMeBaby.etsy.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your inspiration photos are all gorgeous Shelley and I think this part of the remodel project is going to make a huge impact on your home! I love my seagrass runner on our stairs, but our dog never went upstairs, so I can't attest to how it would hold up to doggy claws. It's absolutely fantastic for all the traffic from my busy family though - no wear and tear at all. I'm so excited to see all your changes come together!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the inspiration photos. I'm sure you will find the perfect combo.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That's going to be gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  8. We had a lush %100 wool runner--that was perfect on our last staircase. We had so many parties and kids over the years and it never showed any wear. I know what you mean about stairs and doggies though. I'm thinking about sisal this time around but I'm worried about slipping, mostly for our dog (hahaha...the things we dog lovers go through ) I can't wait to see what you choose.

    ReplyDelete
  9. How exciting. I'm enjoying the process of following along with your remodel. The new staircase is going to be gorgeous. fondly ~lynne~

    ReplyDelete

I love reading all of your comments and try my best to get back to you in a timely manner through email. If I cannot reach you, I will reply in the comment section above. Thanks for stopping by!