July 24, 2014

Pillow Talk

I have yet to find a bed pillow that I love...

Well, I kind of love the old flat pillow that I currently sleep on but it's just that...old.  I can't even imagine the dust mites that must be living in there!  Oh the thought of that just horrifies me!

Anyway, every now and then I venture out to the store in search of a new pillow that can take the place of the old, dust mite infested one.  You see, part of the problem is that I like a flatter pillow and the only pillows I find in stores are big fluffy ones that keep my head way too high in the air.  I have some back and neck issues so those poofy pillows can be torturous to my spine alignment.



My husband on the other hand
must have a whole stack of pillows to be happy...
I took this picture in a hotel room many years ago to compare how each of us like to sleep.  It is a bit of an exaggeration because he added a couple extra for the picture...just to be funny.  Though he does seem like the "Princess and the Pea" when it comes to pillows... As you can see,  I only like to use one pillow.


In addition to the typical synthetic pillows, I have also tried a down pillow but I felt like I sunk in too much.  I even tried an Ikea pillow which was really flat, flimsy and seemed like it would be perfect for my neck issues...but it ended up being too flat and flimsy for me to sleep on.

I am thinking I might try a wool or buckwheat pillow...I heard they might be good.  I like the idea of going more natural anyway...

So what do you think?
Can you recommend a brand 
or type of pillow that might work for me?

On a side note, I mentioned the story, The Princess and the Pea to my kids the other day and they had no idea what I was talking about.  I know it's probably more of a girl story, but it's a classic that I think probably most kids should read....I think I will pick it up from the library for them.

Linking to:



8 comments:

  1. Try a memory foam pillow, I have one from Target.
    It is flatter yet supportive for neck (which I also have issues).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have you ever tried those memory foam pillows? We have the same problem here only the opposite way...my husband has really bad back and neck problems and only likes to sleep on one pillow...I like at least two.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wish I had a recommendation for you, but I too have been on the elusive search for the perfect pillow. I am currently using a down pillow from Ikea that I sort of like. It is very flat like you mentioned. My kids love memory foam, but I do not. Please let me know if you come across a great pillow!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I use one of those cool gel insert pillows. It's pretty flat, soft on one side and firmer on the other. I got it at Kohl's (not sure of the brand).

    ReplyDelete
  5. I sleep on an old feather pillow and would love to find a good new one, too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hmmm. I am in search of a replacement pillow too. And I have similar issues to you. One of my favorites (that somehow got lost) was an Ikea down pillow. It was just right for my needs. I also have a synthetic down pillow that I think I bought from Kmart that is really comfy. Hope you find one you like! Thanks for sharing at Fridays Unfolded!

    Alison

    ReplyDelete
  7. We have pillows that we got at the Sleep Number store. They have various styles for side sleepers, back sleepers, etc. Hubby got a pretty flat synthetic fiber one and I got a foam one.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Since I have back and neck issues too, I would recommend a contour pillow. That is what
    my chiropractor recommended to me, and it works very well. I got mine at Sam's cause it
    was much less expensive...........think it was about $30.00 but I have had it for about 10 yrs.
    now and still sleeping great with it. I just checked their website but didn't see one exactly like the one I have but you can try them by just leaving the plastic on and putting your
    pillowcase over it, then if you don't like it you can take it back, it does make a crinkly
    noise tho, but who wants to spend a bunch of $$ on a pillow and then not be happy with it.
    Hope this helps.
    Blessings, Nellie

    ReplyDelete

I love reading all of your comments and try my best to get back to you in a timely manner through email. If I cannot reach you, I will reply in the comment section above. Thanks for stopping by!