June 4, 2014

Father's Day Thoughts

Is is really June already?
Wow, where has this year gone?

With Father's Day just around the corner, I started thinking about the kind of advice my husband has given the boys over the years.  I came up with the usual, "Always try your best, never give up, etc..."  

Then I decided to ask my 10 year old.

"What's the best advice Daddy ever gave you?"

After thinking for a moment he responded with,
"Well, Daddy mostly shows us things."

And he's right.

Although I enjoy taking the boys places and involving them in activities...
I am the talker, the advice giver, the sometimes nagger...
The "eat your breakfast, look both ways before crossing the street, do your homework NOW, never give up, respect each other, STOP fighting, practice piano, I am so proud of you.."
talker.

But Daddy is definitely a doer...a show-er.

He's the one out there showing them how..

Engaging them in the physical activities.

Teaching them about the real world.


And encouraging them to push themselves.


He loves being a coach for many of their sports
and I am proud to say that other parents compliment him all the time
for his enthusiasm and leadership.
(Yes, at one point we had a Yankee and a Met in our house!)


He has always found ways to make chores fun for the boys.


And he always appreciates their efforts.

He loves to expose them to new and exciting experiences.
(Although sometimes I may need to close my eyes!)

But he always does his best to keep them safe.

 He's always up for a good snow ball fight.

And understands how boys need to rough-house every now and then.
(Although half the time I need to stand by the phone
 ready to call 911!)

He has always recognized
that the time he spends with the boys is meaningful.

And as they grow older,
they are beginning to understand this special bond as well.

The years are flying by
but he's not wasting the time.

I don't think he even realizes what a great father he is being.

Sure he gives them advice and disciplines them when needed
but he also sees the value in being a hands-on Dad
who can teach by example.

So, as Father's Day approaches,
I want to thank my husband for showing our boys
so much love and encouragement
and for being so involved in their lives.

He's definitely getting this parenting thing right!


via meetville.com

Cheers to all the wonderful Dads out there!

Just to let you know, I wrote this post from the bottom of my heart but I also wrote it to let you know about a new company called Man Crates.  

They ship awesome gifts for guys in custom wooden crates and are running a campaign called #DadBrags that is giving away a crate every day through Fathers's Day.  You can check out their site :http://www.mancrates.com/dadbrags and enter the contest through Twitter.  I thought it would be a fun thing to look into for Father's Day!

Please note that I am not being compensated in any way to mention this company.  I just agreed to write a post because I thought it was a cute idea!


Linking to:
Have a Daily Cup of Mrs. Olson - Share Your Cup Thursday
A Delightsome Life - Home and Garden Thursday
Coastal Charm - Show and Share Party
A Stroll Thru Life - Inspire Me Tuesday
StoneGable - The Scoop
Imparting Grace - Grace at Home
Momnivores Dilemma - Our Sunday Best


11 comments:

  1. What a beautiful post!! With Pics! Has he seen this?? What a wonderful tribute :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Traci! No, he hasn't seen the post yet. And you might notice the pictures of the boys aren't real close up - and most of the photos are from years ago!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is such a sweet post. I just loved every word and it all rings true at this house too. xo

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your Father's Day tribute to your husband is so touching, Shelley. He's going to love it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a heartfelt post, Shelley! I really enjoyed seeing the pictures that do such a great job of capturing the bond that your husband and boys share. And thank you for reminding me that Father's Day is right around the corner.

    ReplyDelete
  6. HE"s a great Dad, and you guys are a fun couple!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Aww Shelley, he is going to be so touched by your sweet post! What lucky boys to have such a wonderful role model!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is beautiful, you are your boys are blessed to have him. Great way to celebrate his importance in your family!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a beautiful tribute to your husband. The bond between a father and son is so special. I adore my boys, but I love the bond they have with their dad. They certainly are the teachers! Thanks for sharing with SYC.
    hugs,
    Jann

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is such a beautiful post, Shelley! I don't think men always realize the importance of their role in their children's lives. I know my hubby discounts his contributions and gives me most of the credit, but I continue to remind him of his contributions. Dads' roles really come to the forefront when you see your son(s) as dads. If they are really good in that new role, then you know you did a good job -- both moms and dads!

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a delightful post about your hubby and what a great Dad he is...........so nice to see that.
    and Happy Father's Day to him..........it is heartwarming to see all these great pics of him with his boys, and that is so true about being present in their lives today........and you are a smart
    woman to acknowledge and encourage that...........
    Blessings, Nellie

    ReplyDelete

I love reading all of your comments and try my best to get back to you in a timely manner through email. If I cannot reach you, I will reply in the comment section above. Thanks for stopping by!