Saturday, April 12, 2014

Why I Allowed My Son to Hang a Poster

This was not my plan for my 10 year old son's room...
I envisioned a beautiful gallery wall for this spot.

But my 10 year old decided to take charge with the room decor.

Although I must say, he proudly informed me that he was "very careful to hang it up straight"...with thumbtacks.  As you can see, he also keeps his Knex Roller Coaster right below the poster.

Wouldn't the playroom be a better place for this monstrosity?  Well, when the 10 year old built it himself and wants to keep his brother away from it (and show it off to his friends), his bedroom is only place to keep it!

When he then decided to rearrange the shelf above his desk by displaying Lego projects along with all of his trophies, I decided - well it's his room!  I guess he should be able to express himself!

He is getting to that age where he definitely wants to make decisions about his things.  Even when we redecorated his room almost 2 years ago - (My Son's Room - Before and After) he was already involved with many of the decisions I made.

While looking at the poster tacked to the wall and the collection of treasures scattered around,  I recalled a book I read a few years ago - The Last Lecture by Randy Pausch.  If you haven't read the book, you really should!  Actually, you must!  It was one of the most inspiring books I have ever read and reminded me of what is important in life.  Randy Pausch was diagnosed with terminal cancer and in his lecture he emphasizes the importance of overcoming obstacles in life and seizing every moment.  In fact, I just dug the book out of my nightstand (where I store books that mean something to me) and I plan to read it over again.

"Anyone out there who is a parent, if your kids want to paint their bedrooms, as a favor to me, let them do it." - Randy Pausch

A version of the above quote has always stuck in my head.  Although my kids were little when I read the book, I remember thinking that some day I will have to let them express themselves in their rooms.  Pausch's parents did an incredible job of encouraging his creativity.  I want to be that type of parent.

"I really do see myself as a guy who had this incredible leg up in life because I had a mother and a father who got so many things right," - Randy Pausch

I want my kids to tell inspiring stories about me someday.  I want to my kids to remember their childhood as being "magical" like Pausch did.  What an incredible gift that would be!

Of course I will not be allowing my boys to paint pictures or draw a quadratic formula on the wall like Pausch had!...

But a poster, yeah I can deal with that!

Do your kids "help" decorate their rooms?
Have you read The Last Lecture?

Linking to:

7 comments:

  1. OH I know!! My daughter has a bright Tiffany blue bedroom and the other a bubble gum pink..not my choice but they love it so it makes them Happy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That sounds like a great inspirational book to read. I think your son is doing a fine job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can relate to this! I had a grand vision for my boy's shared bedroom that involved shades of grey, orange, and some blue. I had my eye on really nice quilts and matching pillows. Well, I kissed all of that goodbye when we went to Target one day, and they pulled NFL pillows and throws off the shelves and pleaded to get them. Though it wasn't my vision, I couldn't say no. They would have been so disappointed! Their room still looks nice even though it wasn't what I had in mind. Not only do we have two happy boys who love their room, we saved a few $$$ going with Target instead of my other ideas!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think the poster looks great! I did create a gallery wall in my youngest boy's bedroom which he has hijacked with his own additions (&substitutions). He is so proud every time he changes it and shows us. What can you do? I love that quote from Randy Pausch. I never read the book but I think I will now. Oh, and this post came at just the right time for me. My oldest boy painted his closet doors orange this weekend. Dukes of Hazzard orange was what he was going for. Lol. Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You're a great mom, Shelley! I love his poster and style! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is so cute! As a mom of two boys who loves a pretty house, I can relate. I let my boys hang posters, flags, etc all over their rooms, they were going to do it whether I liked it or not. They ended up being very cool rooms which made me sad to dismantle when we moved. One of my proudest moments of teenage years was when family friends were visiting us, their son came and got his mother, took her up to our youngest son's bedroom and said "this is what I should be allowed to do, why can't I do this to my room, this is the sickest bedroom I have ever seen" Adding more posters as he gets oleo will make it into a gallery wall. I love that you shared this for other moms who are design fans.

    Being the be beachy girl you are, you might like a cute little striped French bag I am offering as my first giveaway! Trying to get back to regular blogging and thought I would celebrate by sharing something fun.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You're so right Shelley and it's something that I needed to be reminded of since I'm in the midst of redecorating my daughter's room and it hasn't been without it's battles. It doesn't matter so much whether the room looks amazing to my eye or not - it's whether she thinks it's perfect and amazing, right?!

    ReplyDelete

I love reading all of your comments and try my best to get back to you in a timely manner...although sometimes it may take a couple days!

Every now and then when I am getting too many spam messages, I stop allowing anonymous comments - sorry about that if you are having trouble!