Monday, November 25, 2013

My Statement Chair and the One Kings Lane Decor Resource Center

I was recently contacted by a representative from One Kings Lane asking me to help introduce their Home Decor Resource.  Of course I was thrilled to help out!  I love their website!  The Home Decor Resource is a new design tool that explains different styles of furniture.  You can browse through each category to research a piece of furniture you might already own or even use the site to learn about different styles and periods.  I spent a significant amount of time over there perusing through the examples of statement chairs.

I have a few favorite chairs in my home but one of my favorite "statement chairs" is located in my living room.  I purchased the chair from Ethan Allen about 14 or so years ago and I think it reflects a mixture of styles.  From looking at the One Kings Lane guide, I could see that the curved arms, graceful lines and solid square back reflect the styles of the Empire and Neo-classic periods.   It even has a bit of a British Colonial look and works with the tropical/traditional style that I attempt to carry throughout my home.

I love the classic, curved lines and the way the dark wood compliments my other furniture.  I like my rooms to feel  traditional yet still reflect hints of the tropics although I didn't want to go "all island" in my house.  After all, we live in New Jersey and I didn't want to feel like I was walking into a tiki hut every time I came home.  This chair works well as an accent to my living room without being too overwhelming.


I think the chair compliments my seagrass chairs too.

Originally, I was going for even more of a British Colonial style
like this one from a Caribbean resort.
(The chair in our suite at the Regent Palms - Turks and Caicos)

I had already bought the Ethan Allen chair by the time I saw this one but this chair definitely reflects the look I was after for in my living room.


Anyway, it was fun searching the various categories in the Home Decor Resource.  Not only did I learn a few things but I enjoyed browsing through their inventory of pieces to purchase!  If you have questions about the style of an existing piece in your home or are just curious about the history of furniture, you should check out the One Kings Lane Home Decor Resource.  You might learn a few things!

Do you have any statement chairs in your home?


6 comments:

  1. You reminded me again of the post I need to do for my chair! love your serene living room and that chair is a real keeper for sure Shelley. Hope you have a wonderful Thanksgiving dear!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do love the chair! Have a great Thanksgiving Week. xo

    ReplyDelete
  3. My statement chairs is one that the original homeowners left. It's part slipper chair but low to the ground (great for putting on shoes!) It will eventually be re-upholstered but for now will stay a basic yellow plaid. Thanks for the fun post - love your style!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is a fabulous chair. I love the arms. The seagrass chairs are great too. They definitely are island-ish without being too island-y in NJ. I love how bright this space is too, with so much natural light. Hope you have a wonderful Thanksgiving with your family, Shelley!

    ReplyDelete

I love reading all of your comments and try my best to get back to you in a timely manner...although sometimes it may take a couple days!

Every now and then when I am getting too many spam messages, I stop allowing anonymous comments - sorry about that if you are having trouble!