May 31, 2013

Friday Food Focus

Are you ready to start eating GMO - free?

Last week I voiced my concerns regarding GMO foods.
If you read my post and you now feel motivated to try eating a GMO free diet,
I'm going to make it easy for you!

As a mom, I try to keep our diet as healthy as possible.
While I try to cook with fresh ingredients most of the time,
let's be realistic - sometimes we eat packaged foods!
At least I try my best to be responsible with the ones I choose!

  Each week I will list a few brands that I recommend
in my GMO-free A to Z list.

Let's start at the beginning of the alphabet...

Amy's Kitchen is a wonderful brand with a huge selection of delicious organic products.  Not only are their products GMO free but they have also stopped using BPA liners in their canned goods.

My son and I love the Cheese Enchilada frozen dinners.  He frequently requests these on nights we have to run off to baseball and we don't have time to cook a huge meal.  Amy's also makes some wonderful frozen pizzas and many other entrees.  Go check out all their products on their website  at www.amys.com.   I am sure you will find something you will like.


I just recently discovered Angie's Popcorn.  Now I am very careful about any kind of corn products since corn tops the list for GMO foods.  Luckily Angie's Boom Chicka Pop popcorn is made with Non-GMO corn and is produced with all non-GMO ingredients.  As stated on their website, "All of our products are Non-GMO Project Verified (except for our White Cheddar and Holidrizzle products)"

We love this popcorn and my kids always request it in their lunches or snack bag!  I also think they like to say the name!  It's very cute and is one of those names that get stuck in your head.  Boom Chicka Pop, Boom Chicka Pop...See it's hard to stop saying it!


Another brand I love is Annie's.  We have been buying Annie's products for years.  Originally I started with the Macaroni and Cheese because I was trying to avoid the artificial colorings in the other brands.  My kids couldn't tell the difference so it was a win-win for everyone!  Since I have been anti-GMO, it makes me happy to know that Annie's only uses Non-GMO ingredients!

Not only do my boys love the Macaroni and Cheese but The Penne Pasta with Alfredo is another favorite and the Cheddar Snacks are always a big hit in their snack bags.  Go check out their website, www.annies.com for more products!

I should mention that I am not being compensated
in any way to mention these companies.  
These are truly products I use!

I hope my list helped you become aware of some great products and responsible companies out there!

Have you tried any of the brands listed above?

6 comments:

  1. I haven't yet, however now I will! Thanks Shelley!

    xoxo
    Karena
    Art by Karena

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've only tried Amy's pizzas and they are quite good…I am definitely checking out this popcorn! Thanks for sharing! Have a wonderful weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Shelley, Been meaning to ask... where do you usually shop to find these great products? Do you hit a major chain for staples and then go to a specialty store (ie. whole foods) for the rest? Would love to know how you manage the shopping!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I shop mostly at Wegman's (which I believe is a Northeast food store chain). They have several aisles dedicated to organic and "health" foods. We don't have a Whole Foods close by (about an hour away) but we have a local health food store where I buy some things. I try hard to buy as much organic as possible but it does get expensive. I know I can't completely control what my kids eat when they are not at home but I am hoping I am getting them used to eating healthy so they can make good choices when they are out!

      Delete
  4. I love Amy's because it is also an excellent choice for many gluten free foods.

    ReplyDelete

I love reading all of your comments and try my best to get back to you in a timely manner through email. If I cannot reach you, I will reply in the comment section above. Thanks for stopping by!