May 24, 2013

Awareness

Doesn't it seem like almost every person you know
has some kind of allergy?  

When I was growing up, we never heard of food allergies.  There was not a peanut free table at lunch - in fact most of the kids brought peanut butter and jelly sandwiches to school without a concern.  We didn't see the health issues in kids that we see today.  In my entire grade school, one girl had asthma.  Now it's so common that we don't even think much of it anymore.

Do you ever wonder where all these issues are stemming from?  

Has our food changed so much since I was a kid?
Why are we reacting to things that were never a concern in the past?

I wish I had the answers.
While I am no way an expert by any stretch of the imagination,
I do have my theories...

If you follow me on Pinterest, you might have noticed that I have concerns about GMO's - (Genetically Modified Organisms) in our food supply.  I believe GMO's could possibly play a role in the allergies and health issues we encounter today.


These are just my thoughts and since I never intended for my blog to be too "preachy", I just want to bring your attention to GMO's and let you decide for yourself.  Here are a list of links that might give you a better understanding of why GMOs  have become such a controversial subject.

TV.greenmedinfo.com - What is a GMO - Explained in 1-minute
Environment - National Geographic.com
GMO Awareness.org
Doctor Oz.com - GMO Foods - Are They Dangerous?
Best Food Facts.org
Mercola.com - David Versus Monsanto
Celebrities Speak Out---March Against Monsanto-May-25th
NY Daily News - National Stars Align Protest

I do want to give a shout out to some companies who are making changes:

By 2018, Whole Foods will require their supplier partners to label products containing GMO ingredients.
You can read the full story here - Whole Foods Market Blog - GMO Labeling.

Recently, Chipotle Mexican Grill announced a goal to eliminate GMOs from their food.  In the meantime, they have provided a list of ingredients on their website including those menu items that currently contain GMOs.  Now I love Chipotle even more!

And then there are those companies who already provide GMO free foods- See Celestial Healing.net for a list.

I am happy these companies are responding to the concerns of the public but I also believe there is more that can be done.  After all, many countries have already labeled or banned GMOs...



Why is the US so far behind?  Are we missing something?  Or are the other countries just overacting?

Are you as concerned as I am?  
If so, here are a few things you can do....

1.  Choose organic or GMO free foods - like those listed at  Celestial Healing.net.

2.  Try to avoid the top Genetically Modified foods like corn and soy...although if you look at the list of ingredients on any packaged food, you will see that they can be difficult to avoid!

3.  Educate yourself on GMOs.  Many of you are parents and want to do what is best for your children as well as for your own health.

I am just doing my part to create awareness!  

What are your thoughts on GMOs?

7 comments:

  1. Thank you for writing about this, Shelley. I really haven't educated myself very much about this topic and am interested in reading more about it via your links. It's amazing how "advances" in science can sometimes be harmful instead of helpful isn't it? I have been shopping more and more at Whole Foods and just recently discovered Chipotle - so glad to hear they are both concerned about this topic too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lisa. Yes, it is great to see some companies being more responsible. The more I learn about GMOs, the scarier it gets. I am trying to learn as much as I can so I can make more educated decisions too!

      Delete
  2. Shelley,

    I'm just learning about all the GMOs and it's down right scary. I've had heath problems due to it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Shelley! It's been too long since I stopped by, so I hopped back here to see what GMOs are all about. I admit I didn't even know what the acronym stood for! Thanks for making me aware! Off to follow some of your links...

    Btw, those floors in your office are gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've just recently joined the anti-gmo cause, Shelley. My once very healthy daughters both were diagnosed with different autoimmune diseases shortly after college, and I blame stress and the poor diet they ate during that time of their lives. I've read a lot since then and have come across a book based on solid scientific research from the past decade called The Immune System Recovery Plan by Susan Blum, MD. where I learned about how our immune systems cope with GMO's in our diets. I now have some hope for their recovery, and we've seen dramatic results in the short time we've switched to organic, non GMO diets. I'm not sure of the accuracy, but I read recently that more than 60 countries ban or require labeling of GMO foods, while the USA not only does neither, but 80% of our food actually includes some form of GMO. It is almost impossible to eat a diet here that isn't poisonous to our health in some way. I have found that it requires a lot of research, time, effort, and money, all things most average people are short of. Your website is helping a lot to get the word out in a gentle way that won't put people off. Your product recommendations are also a huge help. I think you're a great spokesperson for this very worthwhile cause. Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Geez, sorry that was such a long comment. :]

      Delete
    2. Thanks Laurel! I am sorry to hear your daughters are having health issues but at least you are educating yourself and are taking steps to heal them. I have read so many articles about how people have turned their health around after switching to organic. It's just a shame that our country is so money hungry that we put profits before good health. Thanks for the comment and don't be sorry for making it so long! I love to hear from people who believe in the same things that I do and I am sure it will help others who read your story!

      Delete

I love reading all of your comments and try my best to get back to you in a timely manner through email. If I cannot reach you, I will reply in the comment section above. Thanks for stopping by!