Tuesday, October 30, 2012

The Day After

I am writing a very quick post because I have no idea how long I will be able to stay connected! 

We were very lucky regarding the hurricane - still without power, but we are fine.  I must admit, it was very scary last night.  The wind was rattling the windows so much, I was sure they would shatter.  It felt like the whole house was shaking.  We have been using our generator which we have hooked up to the heat, water and a few lights.  We only lost one tree, we have some minor roof damage and we don't have cable or land line phones.  I consider that nothing after hearing what the rest of the New York/New Jersey area is going through!  As you have probably seen on the news, the northeast is devastated.  In fact, you have probably seen more coverage of the storm than I have since we haven't had much access to the news.  I was able to get on Facebook a few times and saw a few pictures of the New Jersey shore that brought me to tears.  Oh and New York - unbelievable! 

Thank you so much for all of your thoughts and prayers.  I will write more when I can.  At this point, my computer won't even let me upload pictures! 

Please pray for the people who lost their homes and the families who lost loved ones.  This really was a horrible storm.  It is just so sad. 

I hope all of you in the storm areas are safe!  Thanks for stopping by!

17 comments:

  1. Thanks so much for visiting my blog! I didn't realize that you lived in NJ. So glad to hear that you were spared alot of damage and are safe. I have been consumed watching all the news coverage about what y'all are going through. Looking at the pics of your home, it is just beautiful. Hopefully, your power will be restored in time for trick or treaters tomorrow. I heard they may postpone that in your area if things are still bad. We will be braving the cold temps here tomorrow night ourselves. Take care and stay safe!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kelly! It seems like everyone outside of NJ has seen more than we have due to the power outage!

      Delete
  2. So happy to hear you are doing fine! Bless your heart! We had a very scary, no-sleep night too! But we are doing fine.
    Hope you get things back to normal very very soon!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So glad y'all are okay and had minimal damage. Hope your electricity comes back soon. I've been glued to the news coverage and it is truly devastating. So very sad for so many people... xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Amanda. It has been so heartbreaking to see what some people are going through!

      Delete
  4. I am glad you had minimal effect from this terrible disaster. I live in Rockaway Beach, New York and we were the hardest hit. We had to evacuate and we did as we were told. Many people decided to stay and they were not expecting such a devastation. My home was ruined, the water filled up my basement and about 3ft into my second floor, no power, lost everything. All I have to say is thank God my family and friends are safe. I hope you get your power soon. Be safe!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So very sorry to hear about your home Sherry. I have been praying for all those involved and will include you in those prayers. Thank goodness your family and friends are safe, that is most important. Best of luck to you.

      Delete
    2. I am so sorry Sherry. You are in my thoughts and prayers. Take care, Shelley

      Delete
    3. Thank goodness you heeded the evacuation order and left.
      I live in Rockaway, New Jersey -- north central part of the state -- and what you suffered in the NY Rockaways is unimaginable. I grew up about 30 minutes away from your Rockaways, and have friends who live there, and in Long Beach. They opted to stay, and thankfully are all right but have lost so much, including their cars and first floor possessions. But for everyone who is safe -- thank God.

      I am so sorry -- Cass

      Delete
  5. Nice to hear you fared well with minimal damage. I have friends and family in both NY and NJ but none effected too badly. My thoughts and prayers will continue to go out to all those who were effected by the horrible devistation.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh my goodness...I'm so glad you and your family are ok. It's all so so scary! Thinking of you and sending lots of love your way!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Natasha. I appreciate you stopping by to check on us! Take care, Shelley

      Delete
  7. You continue to be in my thoughts and prayers. Being from NOLA, we know exactly what you are experiencing except for the cold weather. I thought I was following your blog already. Hmmm? I am now, Shelley! xo

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Shelley,

    I hope you have your power back on. It's been so cold here in Jersey.
    How did you like the snow yesterday? Like we needed snow on top of everything. Ha! You were so lucky to get away for awhile. My knees have finally stopped shaking :) I never thought I'd be so happy to have the heat on. lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dee - just trying to stay "Jersey Strong"!

      Delete

I love reading all of your comments and try my best to get back to you in a timely manner...although sometimes it may take a couple days!

Every now and then when I am getting too many spam messages, I stop allowing anonymous comments - sorry about that if you are having trouble!