July 26, 2012

Master Closet Organization

My husband and I each have our own closets.  He has always been great about getting rid of things he no longer uses so his closet always stays pretty neat.  I, on the other hand, tend to hold onto things and well, my closet can get a bit messy.

Recently, I reorganized my closet and this is how it turned out...

Storage Bins in Master Closet
But it wasn't always this neat!

Our closets aren't huge and I still have the builder-grade wire shelving... I have tried hard to be somewhat organized but after so many years, the mess just got worse and worse.

Then a couple months ago,  I went on a cleaning rampage...

Working on the closet
I tore every single thing out of my closet, vacuumed every nook and cranny and wiped down the shelves and baseboards.

(Originally, I had no plan on posting this cleaning frenzy on my blog so I don't have a true "before" to show you!)

Clearing out the closet
But I can show you what my bedroom looked like during the closet purge!  How scary is this?!!  As you can see, I was not proud of what came out of there!

But emptying the closet was a must according to all you master-organizers out there.  So I laid everything out and reevaluated what I owned.  I donated quite a pile!

It was not a fun day.

As I mentioned above, having bins and boxes really helped a lot.
Bins for organization
The toile boxes up top hold little things like cards, pictures and items that have nowhere else to go!

bins for closet
The navy Walmart bins are a lifesaver when I want to just grab something and go.

Labeled Bins
And labeling them makes life even easier.

Scarf organization
I used to hang my scarves, but they would get all tangled up.  I found it easier just to fold them in the bin.

Closet Storage

Fancy little dress bags don't get used much...

So putting them neatly in the bin keeps them out of the way and in one place.

Handbag storage
My larger handbags just line the shelf.  Not the neatest arrangement but they are displayed where I can see them.

Storage on back of door
Belts, hats and robes hang on the back of the door.

Shoe Storage
And my shoes alternate between facing forward and backward because I heard somewhere this was a space saver.

Storage for jeans
It is more convenient to stack my jeans on shelves instead of in my drawers.  One shelf holds the capri jeans and the other has the regular ones.

Clothing sorted by color
I try to keep my clothes together according to item and color but usually things get a little mixed up.

I also try to use the same hangers to keep things uniform.  For now, I just use the white plastic ones for most items and clear pants/skirts hangers for the rest.
Closet shelving

I keep mostly my winter clothes on the left side of the closet.  Winter clothes bore me, so there is not much to show there!
Organized Closet
So there you have my somewhat organized closet.  Someday I would love to install a nice built in closet system, but for now, I think this works fine for me.

What kind of closet organization works for you?
Master Closet Organization Tips - A few simple and inexpensive changes you can make.


Linking to:

11 comments:

  1. My closet is a disaster! It has built ins but they aren't very practical. And then I have a pile of house stuff that I love but haven't found a place for. AND I have a desk in there that holds the printer and all that fun stuff. When the boys outgrow the playroom we'll have a real study room/office. Love how neat and organized yours is.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Your closet must be HUGE to have a desk in there! I wish I had more space!

      Delete
  2. Wow, your closet threw up! Mine would be much worse and we share a small closet. How nice to have your own.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My husband and I use to share a "tiny, tiny" walk in closet (as one might be able to call it.) But when all my kids moved out I moved my clothes to one of their old rooms. I really need to do a re-org in mine too.
    Yours looks good.
    Tammy

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, your closet is so neat and organized! Thanks for the inspiration. Visiting from French Country. Would love it if you would share this at my Make it Pretty Monday party at The Dedicated House. http://thededicatedhouse.blogspot.com/2012/07/make-it-pretty-monday-week-7.html Hope to see you at the bash! Toodles, Kathryn @TheDedicatedHouse

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have a very similar size closet i share with my boyfriend, same type of shelving as well. He only gets a small sliver though for dress shirts. I organized it when we moved in, but it's so hard to keep it that way! Also we live in an apartment so that same closet is where all coats go as well which is a space-sucker. We have no entry-way closet, well not that I would keep coats in at least? Any advice?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh I think this turned out great. You did a beautiful job, and such common sense! I love it. You just gave
    me some great ideas. Instead of just throwing things on to the shelves put them in pretty canvas containers. Love it.
    Blessings,
    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  7. Boy, I really need to do this myself. Great job organizing your closet and thanks for sharing this at your Open House party.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh this has C.A.L.M. written all over it. Well done, my friend. I always freak out in the stage where it is all over my room! And then your after is so awesome. Thanks for linking up!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow Shelley, I'm impressed! I'm the worst at purging and keeping sentimental items of clothing, I have to have a friend come over and help! Awesome job, I bet it feels great.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow!! This is such inspiration for me!

    ReplyDelete

I love reading all of your comments and try my best to get back to you in a timely manner through email. If I cannot reach you, I will reply in the comment section above. Thanks for stopping by!