November 30, 2011

Displaying Christmas Cards

One tradition that I hope doesn't ever go away
is the mailing of Christmas cards!


Brookstone.com
(By the way, I LOVE this lighted mailbox swag!)

It seems more and more people are sending e-cards
or just plain email wishes
or even just Facebook greetings.

But not me!

I love making my own photo cards using one of the online companies like Shutterfly or Snapfish.
I love choosing the right pictures to capture the feel of the year...pictures that show how our kids have grown or important events that took place during the year.


I can't tell you the last time I purchased a store bought holiday card.
Actually, it was probably the year before my first son was born!

I love receiving picture cards
as much as I enjoy sending them.
I have many friends and relatives across the country
and some who
believe it or not...
are not on Facebook!

So it is nice to see how they look
and what they are doing.

But when I get cards in the mail,
I like to be able to display them
so when I walk by I can think about that family
or my kids can see their friends' faces on their cards.

So, that brings up the annual dilemma...

How do I display the Christmas cards?

In the past, I have tried to come up with something creative.
Then I just give up
 and tape the cards in the kitchen doorways like every year.
At least I can see the cards when walking by.
But it is not the most decorative or creative way to do it.

So this year,
I am thinking about it earlier
and I came across some creative ideas on the internet.

I think this one has been
floating around all over the blog world this year:
Pinned Image
Love it!
marthastewart.com

Pinned Image
And I love this way of hanging them.
Pinterest.com
(originally from www.apartmenttherapy.com)
Pinned Image
And this similar one
The last two are close to what I have done in the past...
with a little more style!

I will let you know what I decide once the cards start rolling in.

How do you display your Christmas cards?

9 comments:

  1. I keep ours in a basket in the kitchen. They aren't really displayed but handy to flip through them while I bake!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Most people have quit sending cards I think mostly because of the down economy and the high price of postage. It is ashamed that is has become this way. Great ideas for displaying them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just piled in a basket, but I'm getting inspired to do something more creative this year, thanks! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. To be honest, I love the way you had them displayed around the doorways, it's so personal and festive! I love sending cards too, although I am too lazy to do the photo ones, but I do love sending personal handwritten notes to friends and family. I think people are surprised and still appreciate getting cards in the mail!

    ReplyDelete
  5. My favorite cards are photo cards! I love to see how everyone's family and kids. Unfortunately, we don't receive as many as we used to, but I still send them out.

    I have a table with a glass top and I put the cards under the glass. When everyone comes over, they always go to the table to look at the cards under glass!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love to send 'real' cards too! I know some folks send email ones, but in a way I feel that's kinda rude! :) Well, I know not everyone can afford to buy the stamps. Love that you send picture Christmas cards. When my children were small I taped my cards up around the door frame just like you! ;) Now I have a little basket and just poke them in it.
    Thanks for popping in to see me and it's nice to know your son is musical!
    Be a sweetie,
    Shelia ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great ideas...I think I will display them from our kitchen pantry door. Wish I had a better photo of our family for a card...

    ReplyDelete
  8. You know, I love the old-fashioned way of hanging cards. That's exactly how my mom hung them in the house where I grew up. She passed away 7+ years ago, but seeing your pic reminded me of her. Thanks so much for sharing. Love all your decorations, too.

    ReplyDelete

I love reading all of your comments and try my best to get back to you in a timely manner through email. If I cannot reach you, I will reply in the comment section above. Thanks for stopping by!